Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Proper Form Myth

A comment from one of my YouTube viewers addressed the poor lifting form that I used in my "Arms" Shock Routine video. From the instant that I reviewed the finished footage of the video I knew that my sloppy form would become a topic of intrest to someone. So, I waited. My plan from the beginning was to respond to the form issue with a blog post if ever a viewer broached the subject. The subject has been brought up, so here is the post.

Please consider the following.

In this example,  I will say each set must be completed within 30 seconds.

Using proper lifting form, if, within 30 seconds, you moved 20 pounds for 10 reps, at the end of the set you will have moved a total of 200 pounds (20 pounds X 10 reps = 200 lbs).

Using fair to good form, if, within 30 seconds, you moved 20 pounds for 15 reps, at the end of the set you will have moved a total of 300 pounds (20 pounds X 15 reps = 300 lbs).

Which of these sets will put the greatest demand on the body? Correct - the fair to good form set. Because a greater total amount of weight was moved within the same 30 second period.

The greater total amount is all your body cares about when it comes to building muscle. It strives to meet the greater total amount demand. It could care less about proper form. Muscles only respond to the demands associated with the form being used.

The most physically powerful and visually impressive guys in the gyms often prove my point with regard
to proper form. I personally cannot remember one huge guy standing firm on the "proper form" issue. Unless he was being forced to do so by the equipment he was working out on.

Personal trainers and trainer wanna-bes, on-the-other-hand, are often found on soap boxes with proper form speaches for everyone within earshot.

I think many of us would progress faster if we spent more time picking the weight up and putting it down. And less time pretending that form will be the decisive factor in our ultimate success or failure.